Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The 5 dollar milkshake


We've had some gorgeous looking sunsets lately. I'm talking, magical looking sunsets. Followed by a breath of fresh night air, relatively cooler than the 100 degree day weather.



Oh, those summer nights. The kind of nights that make you want to swing outside in a hammock,  citronella candles aglow (to keep the mosquitoes away, of course) and some kind of tasty summer beverage in hand. As you know, I have a teeny list of iconic movie/tv show foods I've been very slooooowly crossing stuff off of. I've been wanting to make more of the foods on the list, but have found myself sidetracked when I read about a new, delicious looking recipe on my blogroll. Damn those interesting bloggers and their amazing recipes. :) Anyways, because of my gnat-like attention span, I've almost completely forgotten about my list and I think I owe it an apology. Or at the very least, some time away from my other recipes to collect my thoughts and then make the classic 5 dollar milkshake from Pulp Fiction, which is on my list.


The milkshake in question is fictional of course. But the premise of a 5 dollar milkshake is very real. I think we've all experienced paying way too much for what is essentially just milk and ice cream, as Vince very blatantly points out. No matter, Mia Wallace orders her shake (Martin and Lewis) and Vince tries it, says it's a pretty bleeping good milkshake, and then, well, you know the rest. If you don't, watch the movie. It's pretty bleeping good.

So, back to the milkshake. Or milkshakes, rather. I made two, chocolate and vanilla. Both were unbelievably good! I loved both of them equally. And I love that I can make milkshakes at home that taste better than the expensive stuff. They taste like you spent 5 dollars, but the cost is really up to you. I would however, advise using a quality ice cream, like Mayfield. It makes all the difference, believe me.

5 dollar milkshake
  • 5-6 large scoops good quality chocolate or vanilla ice cream
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup-3/4 cup whole milk
  • 2 tsp sugar
In a blender, combine all of the ingredients and blend until the milkshake is the consistency you want. Add more or less milk depending on your preference. Serve in a tall glass with a straw.



No comments:

Post a Comment