Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Lonely Chicago Pie



I baked my first pie EVER today. It's called the "Lonely Chicago Pie", from the movie Waitress. Go figure that the first pie recipe I chose to make is from a movie. But then again, anybody who knows me wouldn't be at all surprised. The pie itself is a cinnamon custard pie baked in the oven, then  topped with smashed berries and melted chocolate. Yum! Originally, I wasn't going to make a homemade pie crust for this recipe, just to make my life a little easier. But then, the box of jiffy pie crust mix I got from the store this past weekend happened to be expired, so I figured what the heck, might as well try.

Let me just say that this is one of the most exciting recipes I've ever made for three reasons; 1.) It's from a movie that I get to cross off my Film Feasts list. Hurray! 2.) It makes the house smell amazing 3.) It's soooo pretty!!!

I'm officially smitten with pie. After trying this recipe, you will be too! (note: This is a slightly modified version of a recipe I found on a dash of nutmeg)

Lonely Chicago Pie
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 Tbs flour
  • 1 Tbs ground cinnamon
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 2 Tbs butter, melted
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cups of whole milk
  • 1 unbaked 9 inch deep dish pie crust
  • 1/4 cup blackberries, smashed
  • 1/4 cup strawberries, smashed
  • 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 1/2 tsp butter
Pie Crust
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3-4 Tbs cold water
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Whisk the flour and salt together. Cut small chunks of the butter into the flour until it resembles a fine meal. Add in the water, 1 Tbs at a time, mixing with a fork after each tablespoon until all the dough is moistened. Using your hands, form the dough into a ball and roll into a 1/8 thickness on a floured surface. Make sure to flour your rolling pin as well! Fit the dough into your pie plate and trim the edges, if necessary. Prick the bottom and sides with a fork. Set aside.




In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon,  and flour. Add the egg, vanilla, and melted butter. Mix well, then add the milk and mix. Pour the mixture into pie pan and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking an additional 40 minutes, until golden brown.



Add the crushed berries to top of pie and bake for another 10 minutes.



Let pie cool completely. Melt your tsp of butter and chocolate chips in the microwave on medium until fully melted. (note: Stop every 10-15 seconds to keep checking your chocolate doesn't overcook.) Pour the chocolate over the berries and chill for several hours. Enjoy your gorgeous dessert!





No comments:

Post a Comment